Kazuo Eguchi Pages 257 - 263 ( 7 )
It has been well recognized that hypertension in diabetes is a potent risk of micro- and macrovascular complications. BP levels are most important component of BP management. Next to BP levels, other component such as BP variability is also important. BP variability consists of several concepts :
1. Very Short term BP variability (beat-to-beat)
2. Short term BP variability (over the 24h)
3. Diurnal BP variation in diabetes
4. Long term BP variability (day-by-day)
5. Visit-to-Visit Variability (months ~ years)
Among these, abnormal circadian rhythm of BP belongs to short-term BP variability.
There have been a number of papers about BP variability in recent years. In this chapter, the significance of BP variability in patients with diabetes will be reviewed.
Blood pressure variability, circadian blood, pressure rhythm, diabetes.
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Jichi Medical University School of Medicine, 3311-1 Yakushiji, Shimotsuke, Tochigi, Japan.